Raid Raptors Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raid Raptors Academy

NEW RRA HERE

I forgot my password

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 290 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:27 am

Member Of The Week

+2
RinTakasu
B@T
6 posters

Probability for Beginners

B@T

Badges : N/A.
    Raptor Points : 16876

Probability for Beginners Empty Probability for Beginners

Post by B@T Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Probability for Beginners LnsFPqM
    Table of Contents
    1.Intro to Probability
    2. How Does it Work?
    3. Odds of Drawing a Certain Card
    4. Coin Toss
    5. Odds of Number 7: Lucky Straight Effect
    6. Odds of Getting all 5 Pieces of Exodia First Turn

1.Intro to Probability:

Probability is simply "How likely something is to happen" and using this, we can find the likelihood or percentage of that something happening.Concepts of probability have been around for thousands of years, but probability theory did not arise as a branch of mathematics until the mid-seventeenth century. You can use probability to find the odds of a coin toss being a certain result or finding the odds of a certain sum being rolled or even finding the odds of having a certain monster in your hand which i am going to explain today.

2.How does it work?:

Probability is simply the formula:
    Probability for Beginners ZEU5Qq5
    we can use this formula to find the probability of something happening for anything from dice to cards to spinning a wheel.

Probability application to YU-Gi-OH:
    You can use probability in yugioh to find the odds for the following:

• Odds of drawing a certain card
    • Odds of rolling a dice
    • Odds of getting a certain coin toss permutations which is the odds of something happen in any order.

3. Odds of Drawing a Certain Card:

cards in deckodds of drawing a card
    1/402.5%
    1/412.43%
    1/422.38%
    1/432.33%
    1/442.27%
    1/452.22%
    1/462.17%
    1/472.13%
    1/482.08%
    1/492.04%
    1/502%
    1/511.96%
    1/521.92%
    1/531.87%
    1/541.85%
    1/551.82%
    1/561.79%
    1/571.75%
    1/581.72%
    1/591.69%
    1/60
    1.67%

Here is a Graph for the Data:
    Probability for Beginners YtUIKHI

Does it matter how many cards i have in the deck?
    Even though the percent difference is small, your odds aren't great to begin with hence why people think "the less cards in your deck, the better the odds" because your are decreasing the total number of cards in the deck and increase the odds of a better card.

Coin Toss:
    As stated before, you can use probability to find the odds of a coin toss. I will doing the following example
    Probability for Beginners SandGamblerDR2-EN-C-UE
    Code:
    Toss a coin 3 times. If all 3 results are Heads, destroy all monsters on your opponent's side of the field. If all 3 results are Tails, destroy all monsters on your side of the field. You can only activate this effect once per turn, during your Main Phase.

Suppose you use Sand Gambler's effect to destroy 5 of your opponent's monsters which you will need 3 coin toss that will result in all 3 being heads. I am going to show you using as probability tree.

Probability for Beginners 11fig03
    Probability Tree is basically a diagram used to find the odds of something by showing a map of the results. Ever branch is a probability of something happening thus we have 3 sections of branches for tossing a coin three times.
    Using the formula stated previously,
    (1/2) *(1/2)*(1/2)=( 1/8 ) which is 12.5% odds of getting result of all 3 being heads.

Now lets do something a little more harder(don't worry its easier than it looks!)
    Suppose i use Barrel Dragon instead to destroy an opponent's monster
    Probability for Beginners BarrelDragon-LCJW-EN-C-1E
    Code:
    Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; toss a coin 3 times and destroy it if at least 2 of the results are Heads.

Now using the probability tree for visual concept to find the odds of getting a result with at least 2 heads which will be using the same tree form before.

Probability for Beginners 11fig03

now taking all the results of being at least 2 heads in the result and adding them
    Probability for Beginners PdSoO8S
    (HHH)+(HHT)+(HTH)+(THH)=total probability of having 2 heads or more on a coin toss
    .125+.125+.125+.125=.5 or 50% of the result of having 2 heads or more for using barrel dragon's effect.

5. Odds of Number 7: Lucky Straight Effect:
    Suppose i wanted to use Lucky Straight's effect to roll a dice two times and get a total result of exactly 7.
    Probability for Beginners Number7LuckyStraight-SP14-EN-C-1E

Code:
    You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; roll a six-sided die twice and this card's ATK becomes the larger number rolled × 700 until your opponent's next End Phase, then if the total roll was exactly 7, apply 1 of these effects.
    ● Send all other cards on the field to the Graveyard.
    ● Special Summon 1 monster from your hand or from either Graveyard.
    ● Draw 3 cards, then discard 2 cards

I can set up a table of the odds of rolling a total sum of 7.
    I now take the total of times i can get a result of 7 and divivded over the number of possible rolls.

total number of rolling being sum of 7/total number of events=6/36=.1666667 or 16.7% of getting a sum of 7 from Lucky Straight's effect.

6. Odds of Getting all 5 Pieces of Exodia First Turn:
    Believe or not, this is much simple than it seems. Suppose i had a 40 card deck with all monsters(different builds can change it and there is more than 1 type of Exodia builds so i am showing it just a practical results.). Suppose that Player 1 and Player 2 both used the same exact deck with all monsters and it's Player 1's Opening Turn.

Player 1's odds of getting Exodia in his first 5 cards from opening hand:

remember its :total number of success/total number of cards to find probability.
    (5 pieces of exodia left in deck/40 cards left)*(4 pieces of exodia left in deck/39 cards left)*(3 pieces of exodia left in deck/38 cards left)*(2 pieces of exodia left in deck/37 cards left)*(1 pieces of Exodia left in deck/36 cards left)=1:658008 chance of getting exodia for Player 1

Player 2's odds of getting Exodia in his first 5 cards from opening hand and 1 card from draw phase for a total of 6 cards:

Remember its :Total Number of Success/Total Number of Cards to find Probability.
    (5 pieces of exodia left in deck/40 cards left)*(4 pieces of exodia left in deck/39 cards left)*(3 pieces of exodia left in deck/38 cards left)*(2 pieces of exodia left in deck/37 cards left)*(35 card left in deck/36 cards left)*(1 piece of exodia left/35 cards left in deck)*6 different ways you can not draw exodia piece=1:09668 chance of getting exodia for Player 2.

Since Player 2 drew a card from his draw phase, his odds are better than Player 1's odds which i just proved.

Hope you enjoy reading this article!
    RinTakasu
    RinTakasu

Raptor Points : 16610

Probability for Beginners Empty Re: Probability for Beginners

Post by RinTakasu Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm

To enrich this post information, I'll try to explain some drawing mechanics with math:

The first time you are drawing cards (5 ~ 6 cards first to go or second to go) most of the time someone desires to pull out a specific card.

In math there's a funny thing called Hypergeometric Distribution and Binomial Distribution:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

You can read further information if you wish to corroborate on this post, however I'll try to give a little TL;DR.

Hypergeometric = Multiple attempts without replacement

Which means that if we have ball pit with 28 red balls and 2 black balls, everytime we pull out a ball we won't throw our balls back to the pit

Binomial =  Multiple attempts with replacement

Which means that if we have a ball pit with 28 red balls and 2 black balls, everytime we pull out a ball we will throw our balls back to the pit

[Calculators]
    http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx
    http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx
    We'll use these to aid us on our problems

Now taking this information
    1) Are the cards shuffled back to the deck? (Are we replacing our chances?)
    2) How many of that cards are on the deck? (Which are the number of successes?)
    3) Which are the number of attempts? (Which are the number of trials?)
    4) How many cards do we have on our deck? (Which is our population?)
    5) How many of THAT card do we want in our hand?

In a Card game the situation that happens most of the time is:
    1) No
    2) 3
    3) 5 ~ 6
    4) 40
    5) 1

1) Gives us which kind of distribution it is, in this case is Hypergeometric

So we'll use the Hypergeometric calculator:
    First to go:
    Probability for Beginners First_10

30.11%

Second to go:
    Probability for Beginners Second10

34.06%

Afterwards the math is simple:
    You already pulled out 5 ~ 6 of your cards and didn't draw any of them?
    Then the chances are

First to go:
    (3/35)*100 = 8.57%
    Second to go:
    (3/34)*100 = 8.82%

*Note: THIS EXAMPLE IS BASED ON HAVING 3 CARDS OF THAT NAME IN DECK, IF YOU WISH TO CHANGE IT TO 2 OR 1 THEN CHANGE THE NUMBER OF SUCCESSES IN POPULATION BY THAT NUMBER AND IF YOU WISH TO HAVE MORE OF THAT CARD IN HAND THEN CHANGE THE NUMBER OF SUCCESSES IN SAMPLE BY THE NUMBER OF THAT CARD THAT YOU WANT IN HAND.

Last edited by RinTakasu on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ball* not bal, hue.)
    B@T

Post by B@T Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Spoiler:

this is a good thing i was going to add in another time but not something similar to this because its for beginner players to understand how probability comes into play. what i am trying to say is " your scaring the children."
    RinTakasu
    RinTakasu

Raptor Points : 16610

Post by RinTakasu Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 pm

B@TMAN wrote:

this is  good thing i was going to add in another time but not something similar to this because its for beginner players to understand how probability comes into play. what i am trying to say is " your scaring the children."

The main point of my explanation is that there's a huge difference between drawing a single card every turn, to your first 5~6 cards on your first turn and how important it is to have 3 of the same card if someone wants to see it much more often.

Also that probabilities are not cumulative properties.

Sorry if I made it sound to complex.
    jef12345
    jef12345

Raptor Points : 16728

Post by jef12345 Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:12 am

batman it's a furom for duelists not a nursery. if they can't understand some simple mathematics probabilities then they gotta get outta here.
    YUGIOH IS NOT GAME FOR CHILDREN!!
    Ptolemy
    Ptolemy

Raptor Points : 16934

Post by Ptolemy Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Uh...wasn't Yugioh meant to be a children's card game from the start?
    B@T

Post by B@T Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 pm

jef12345 wrote:batman it's a furom for duelists not a nursery. if they can't understand some simple mathematics probabilities then they gotta get outta here.
    YUGIOH IS NOT GAME FOR CHILDREN!!

i hate to be that guy but......
    http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/about/parents_after-event.html
    "Like the game of Chess, the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME is a simple game with a lot of complex strategies. At the most basic level, the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME forces kids to use simple math and reading skills, while exercising the social skills necessary to play against other kids. "

konami seems to think it is.....
    AkatsukiClan:Sasori
    AkatsukiClan:Sasori

Raptor Points : 16658

Post by AkatsukiClan:Sasori Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 am

preach it B@tman
    B@T

Post by B@T Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 pm

AkatsukiClan:Sasori wrote:preach it B@tman

if i was a preacher, i would be wearing my dueling glove and my yugi socks
    duckymomo101
    duckymomo101

Raptor Points : 16698
    Location : either Atlanta, Puerto Rico, or somewhere by Florida

Post by duckymomo101 Fri May 01, 2015 11:24 am

B@TMAN wrote:if i was a preacher, i would be wearing my dueling glove and my yugi socks

How do we know that you aren't wearing them....hmmm x3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content