Raid Raptors Academy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raid Raptors Academy

NEW RRA HERE

I forgot my password

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 290 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:27 am

Member Of The Week

Deck Building 101: Tips on Competitive Deck Building

(Omega) Chaser

Badges : N/A.
    Raptor Points : 18928

Deck Building 101: Tips on Competitive Deck Building Empty Deck Building 101: Tips on Competitive Deck Building

Post by (Omega) Chaser Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:52 pm

======================================================

Section 1: What makes a good competitive deck?
    Section 2: What wins games?
    Section 3: Side Deck theory
    Section 4: Test 1, 2, 3. And then 50?
    Section 5: Conclusion and Wrap-Up

Section 1: What makes a competitive deck?

Well there are many important factors that define a deck as competitive. But in short there are three main factors involved in a deck actually make it a successful and competitive build. Let’s go over them

The first main factor that make a deck competitive is how consistent and quickly you can get your win condition out. Typically the first player to get their win condition out is the one that will win the game. Every best deck out there has a win condition with 2 or more ways that allow them to win.

Let’s take satellar knights for instance. The main combo involves around a rank 4 engine in order to gain field advantage. One of the cards that wins the game is Triverr. If you didn’t know, this card returns everything to hand, discards a card and pretty much disrupts your opponents plays with traps to back it up. The main 3 cards that allow you to recycle is Vega, Altair, and Deneb. That is an example of a win condition that you can get out with the deck to stun your opponent.

The second factor that determines what decks are good is what other competitive decks are being commonly played. Certain decks have advantage over others because each deck has a unique way of winning based on the combos the deck provides.

Just say the format currently has Macro Rabbits, Mermails and Fire Fists as the tier 1 decks.
    Knowing the weak points in each deck is also important in competitive play. Each deck has an advantage over the other. Mermails typically can overpower fire fists, but rely on a graveyard which can be shut down by Macro rabbits. Fire fists do better vs macro rabbits due to it not being too reliant on graveyard making macro cosmos useless. Macro rabbits shut down Mermails but don’t have the same consistency as fire fists.

Section 2: What wins games?

The main factor that plays the role in who wins the game in yugioh is whoever has the greater card advantage over the other. So I think I may know one question you may be having. What the heck is card advantage? Well a brief answer would be the amount you gain from cards or combos. This means how much and how quickly you gather more resources from your deck to get more cards than your opponent. What is the best way to gain more card advantage? Well there are two main ways to consistently gain card advantage. They are by searching from deck and drawing cards directly from deck. I’m going to use Fire Fist to demonstrate how this may affect the consistency of your deck. Now just Imagine I’m using a 40 card deck.

First is searching from the deck. This means adding cards directly from deck to hand. I’m just going to say I run 3 Fire Formation Tenki, 2 Brotherhood of the Fire Fist Rooster, and 2 Brotherhood of the Fire Fist Leopard. This is a total of 7 cards. This means you technically now you have a 33 card deck to work with.

Now is draw power. This is drawing cards from the top of your deck through card effects. Let’s just say I run 3 Reckless Greed, 2 of duality and 3 Upstart Goblin. Now that’s 8 less cards in my deck. Now I have only a 25 card deck instead of a 40 card deck. This is almost half the size of your deck!

Like I said earlier the more consistent and quickly you can get your win condition out, the more likely you are going to win the game.

Section 3: Side Deck theory

The side deck theory is how you should side in order to win games against most of the commonly played decks. My best advice to going about this is examining the Meta and finding out how to exploit the weakness of those decks. You only want to side vs the top tier decks. This is because you want to keep your rating up and thus you will be going against most of the Meta. If you side against the Meta it will make your deck more efficient and help you get your rating up.

You want to come up with a list of side deck choices in order to shut them down that also won’t hurt your win condition. The main goal of siding is to shut down a deck that might give you trouble in particular bad matchups.

Section 4: Testing 1, 2, 3 and then 50?

Practice makes perfect when it comes to dueling. This can separate people who are successful and people who lose due to an unbalanced deck. A lot of people who net deck don’t quite know how to play the deck as well as those who know how to make a deck more balanced. Most people don’t quite keep in mind that everybody has their own playing style. So how do you know when your deck is balanced? The fact is the only way to truly balance out your deck is through testing.

Usually it is best to test a deck at least 40-50 times so that you know what changes to make in your deck. This actually kills to two birds with one stone so to speak. Not only are you finding out how to build the deck better, also you’re figuring out what the best meta decks are and what to expect from each deck that Is out there.

Section 5: Conclusion and Wrap-Up

To conclude this article, I thank you so much for taking the time to read this article and I hope to inspire others to write more. If you have any comments and suggestions on my next article please feel free to reply. Thank you
    (Omega) Chaser

Badges : N/A.
    Raptor Points : 18928

Deck Building 101: Tips on Competitive Deck Building Empty Re: Deck Building 101: Tips on Competitive Deck Building

Post by (Omega) Chaser Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:35 am

I will be posting another sometime within the next week depending on how long the gfx project i have to do takes. ^^

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am